Build a skill. Save a life.
Whether you are looking for a great summer job or career as a professional lifeguard, the YMCA of South Hampton Roads Lifeguard program is the place to begin! Through classroom activities, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn the skills you need to work as a lifeguard.
Our comprehensive Lifeguard Training course includes:
- Accident prevention
- Lifeguarding techniques
- Emergency systems
- Rescue skills
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- AED, Oxygen Administration and First Aid
Upon successful completion of the course, each participant will be certified in:
- YMCA Lifeguarding
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- Basic First Aid and Oxygen Administration
- Age 16 and older
- Swim 100 meters front crawl
- Tread water for 2 minutes, and then swim 250 meters with the following strokes: 50 meters front crawl head up; 50 meters breaststroke; 50 meters breaststroke head up; 50 meters sidestroke; 50 meters breaststroke kick on back hands on stomach.
- Swim 20 meters sprint, dive to bottom pickup ring and tread for 1 minute no hands; Replace ring, climb out of pool, listen to the instructors directions and complete requested tasks.
In addition, before the start of the second class participants must complete four online assignments. If you feel you cannot meet the prerequisite requirements, you are welcome to contact the aquatic director at your local YMCA family center for an appointment to review your skills.
- Attend 100% of all class sessions
- Arrive on time for all class sessions
- Participate 100% in all class sessions
- Pass written and skills tests
- Demonstrate maturity, respect and responsibility regardless of passing written and skill tests
Certification confirmation documents will be sent to participant 4 to 6 weeks after successfully completing the course.Click here to see a list of dates and times.