Letter from our CEO—Phase 1 Reopening
A message from President & CEO, Anthony Walters, on what the Y looks like with Phase 1 State Reopening Plans
On behalf of the entire team at the Y, we'd like to take a moment to say thank you again for your loyalty and support. The past several months have been unlike anything we've ever experienced, and we're working hard to evolve so that we can continue to show up in a meaningful way for you, our employees and communities.
Part of that evolution has meant serving you in new ways with a live virtual schedule of classes and events, an on-demand library of activities, community partnerships with the Foodbank and blood banks, and activating child care operations for essential personnel. We want to continue to bring you the service and support you need, even if it may look a little different than it has in the past. As cities and states begin to share plans to reopen, we'd like to share an update on our operations. It really cannot be said enough—your health, and the health of our employees, are our priority—and every decision we make is through that lens.
We want to be sure the approach we're taking to reopen our centers is thoughtful, and that we're creating an environment that's safe for everyone. Our services won't open all at once. We're going to take a phased approach, only reopening when:
- It is allowed by state and local governments
- We are prepared with the right safety measures and protocols
- We have confidence we can ensure the safety and well-being of our employees and members
In Virginia and North Carolina’s Phase One, our Y is responding by offering:
- Outdoor fitness classes by reservation beginning the week of May 18, 2020 at select centers
- Lap swimming by reservation beginning the week of May 18 at the Princess Anne and Great Bridge/Hickory Family YMCA Centers
- Camp Hope child care services for working families at select centers beginning the week of May 25
- Ongoing work with the Foodbank and blood banks
- Growth within the current virtual wellness offerings to provide more classes and activities
You can learn more about our approach to opening, details on how we're making our centers safe and ways we're supporting our communities through this crisis by visiting our Reopening Guide.
Again, thank you for your continued loyalty. We hope to see you again soon, however you choose to partner with us. Stay well and we’ll see you at the Y very soon!
President & CEO
YMCA of South Hampton Roads