Updated Swim Necklace and Swim Diaper Policy
In an effort to help operations run as smoothly as possible in the area of Aquatics, we are introducing new updates to our Swim Diaper and Swim Necklace Policies.
Swim Diaper Covers
In efforts to provide the best customer service possible to all of our members, the YMCA of South Hampton Roads is requiring that any child that is not potty trained wear both a swim diaper and a protective plastic diaper cover to prevent any leakage. When leakage from a diaper does occur, we follow all health code standards which means we must shut down the aquatic facility in which it occurred for a time ranging between 30 minutes to 24 hours depending on the type of accident. Our research indicates that facilities that require both the swim diaper and the protective plastic diaper cover, shut down significantly less due to this added layer of protection. We will provide 1 plastic diaper cover to each child that isn't potty trained until March 31st. Beginning April 1st we will have plastic diaper covers available at the front desk for $2. These diapers come in the sizes newborn, small, medium, large, and xlarge and can also be purchased at many local retail outlets or online.
Safety is always our first priority at the YMCA and the swim test is just one way we ensure everyone in our aquatic facilities is safe. This year we will be using a new color of neckband to signify when a child has successfully completed the swim test. We are requiring that all children ages 5-12, even those who have previously completed the test, fulfill the requirements of the swim test to receive the new neckband. As a reminder, the requirements of the swim test are as follows:
- Comfortably swim one length of the swimming pool (25 yards) without assistance—starting in shallow end of the pool.
- Pausing is allowed for the swimmer to rotate and breathe.
- Type of stroke allowed: Freestyle (front crawl) or breaststroke. Swimmer must remain horizontal on top of water and have some level of proficiency of the swim stroke. Underwater swimming is not permitted.
- At the end of the 25-yard swim, the swimmer must tread water for 30 seconds.
- Exit swimming pool either by steps, ladder or side.
- Finally, to test confidence in deep water—swimmer jumps into deep end of pool, resurfaces and exits swimming pool by steps, ladder or side.
Upon successful completion, a complimentary yellow swim neckband will be awarded, which notifies the lifeguards of the child’s ability to swim. Swimmers who have completed requirements of swim test must wear neckband at all times while in the pool. For the safety of all children, sharing of neckbands is not permitted. Replacement neckbands cost $2.