Virtual 5K Running Destinations
The thrill of race day, how you are missed!
It is like none other—the excitement of walking to the start line, the camaraderie of the looks and nods to and from your fellow runners and the hurried shuffle through your playlist to find the perfect song to set the pace. For those that LOVE and LIVE to participate in races, the pandemic has taken the opportunity from us to experience all that makes race day great. BUT, who says we can't find an alternative?
Join the Y VIRTUALLY May 29-31 for a virtual 5K! Registration is FREE, and you get to pick your perfect route. Check here for details and to register. Top times get Y swag!
We asked some of the Y staff that we know enjoy a good run where they would recommend someone complete their Virtual 5K—take a look at the top 5 answers:
1. First Landing State Park—As Virginia's most-visited state park, it's an oasis within urban Virginia Beach. The park has 20 miles of trails and 1.5 miles of sandy Chesapeake Bay beach frontage.
2. Dismal Swamp Canal Trail— This 11 mile paved trail is a former section of Virginia State Rt. 17 in Southern Chesapeake, now a multi-use trail open to bicycling, walking, running/hiking, horseback riding, and boating.
3. Elizabeth River Trail — This Norfolk trail runs for 10.5 miles between Harbor Park Stadium and Norfolk International Terminals. Highlights along the trail include Town Point Park, the USS Wisconsin, Fort Norfolk, Plum Point Park, and several of Norfolk’s historic neighborhoods.
4. Bells Mill Park— This 2.5 mile circular loop in the heart of Great Bridge features footpaths through wetlands and meadows in open natural areas with elevated scenic views of Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River.
5. Windsor Castle Park— Located in the heart of downtown Smithfield, Windsor Castle Park is a 208-acre riverside park that features a woodland trail system, picnic and open area space, dog park, kayak/canoe launch, fishing pier, mountain bike path, scenic overlooks and the historic manor house.