You can prevent Type 2 diabetes
The Y’s Diabetes Prevention Program is a community-based lifestyle improvement program for adults with prediabetes. Its purpose is to empower adults with lasting lifestyle changes that will improve their overall health and reduce their chance of developing type 2 diabetes. Participants gather in a relaxed classroom setting and work together in small groups to learn how to incorporate healthier eating and moderate physical activity into their daily lives. Based on research funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, programs like the YMCA's diabetes prevention program reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58%.
Do You Qualify?
In order to qualify for the program, you must be at least 18 years old, overweight (BMI ≥ 25)* and at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes or have been diagnosed with prediabetes† by a healthcare provider.
How we help
- Provide you with a lifestyle coach for 12 months of education and support.
- Form small groups for additional support from peers.
- Motivate you to eat healthier and be more active.
- Provide progress reports to your primary care physician.
- Reward you with YMCA membership incentives.
What you do
- Attend small group sessions with others also at risk for diabetes. You’ll meet weekly to get started, then monthly to maintain.
- Become more physically active.
- Learn how to balance healthy eating with a busy lifestyle.
Classes are forming now in South Hampton Roads. When 12 participants are enrolled, small group sessions will take place at a YMCA family center.
If you think you may qualify and are interested in this program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757-275-9448.
Click here for information about the Diabetes Prevention Program on the Peninsula or call 757-298-7897.