Keeping Minds and Bodies Active
To kick-start physical activity and learning now and throughout the summer – a critical out-of-school time for kids – on Saturday, April 26, the YMCA of South Hampton Roads is celebrating Healthy Kids Day® with a free community event for kids and families. YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y’s national initiative to improve families’ health and well-being, features games, healthy cooking demonstrations, arts and crafts, raffles, giveaways, and local experts to motivate and teach families how to develop a healthy routine at home.
“At YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, we are focusing on health and education to ensure fewer children are at an increased risk for childhood obesity and more children succeed in school,” said Jennifer Cass, Vice President of Youth Development of the YMCA of South Hampton Roads. “We know that during summer, research shows that kids are more likely to gain weight and fall behind academically than during the school year. Healthy Kids Day is not just a single day of fun, active play and learning – it's a kick-off to helping parents get a jump on creating a healthier summer.”
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Onging Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs, bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Lead By Example – Be a good role model. Children can be influenced by seeing how hard their parents work at home or on the job, and how rewarding that experience is.
Each of our 16 YMCA of South Hampton Roads family centers will host individual and unique Healthy Kids Day events, including interactive games, giveaways, and displays from local merchants and community organizations. For more information, contact your family center or visit this page to find out more!