Outer Banks Family YMCA Swim Team
In addition to YMCA swim meets, the Outer Banks Tidal Waves Swim Team participates in USA Swimming swim meets.
This is our STROKE INSTRUCTIONAL program. There is an emphasis on stroke technique, turns, starts, and fun. Swimmers have shown the ability to swim all four competitive strokes. This begins to introduce swimmers to the world of competitive swimming by building endurance through basic sets.
- Swim legal 100-yard freestyle with flip-turns and streamlines.
- Swim legal 50 backstroke with flip-turns and streamlines and show competence in butterfly and breaststroke.
- Ability to listen and execute independent set instructions, as well as positively interacting with teammates.
This group is for age-group level swimmers and is a competitive group designed for Junior High and High School swimmers with proficiency in all 4 competitive strokes with an intention to compete. Swimmers with focus on mastering the 4 competitive strokes as well and starts and turns.
- Swimmers will be introduced to aerobic maintenance, speed, and racing strategies are explained and practiced.
- Swimmers are expected to utilize the pace clock to be self-reliant during workouts.
- Must be able to swim 500 yards to include 6 x100s Free @ 2:00
This is a senior-level group whose focus will be mastering the four competitive strokes and racing techniques. This group is for swimmers who have B times or better. Swimmers in this group will be perfecting stroke technique and learn more nuance race strategies. This group is designed to push athletes to a greater volume of aerobic endurance training as well as a continued commitment to stroke refinement in all four strokes, including starts, turns, and finishes. Must be able to swim:
- 500 yards Free under 8:00
- 12 x 100 Free on 1:45 interval
- 2 x 200 IM on 4:00
- 10 x 50s Kick on 1:10
To participate in Swim Team at the Outer Banks Family YMCA, schedule your swimmer's skill assessment by emailing
Samantha Wills, Aquatics Director. Practice times are determined by age and skill level following assessment.