YMCA Age Guidelines
- Ages 13+ may join as individuals, however, youth 13–17 must have a parent or legal guardian sign the membership agreement and waiver.
- Ages 16+ may be considered the supervising guardian for siblings age 12 and younger when using YMCA facilities, provided responsible and appropriate behavior is exercised at all times.
- Guests under the age of 18 must have parent/guardian or adult 18+ sign guest waiver upon initial visit to the Y. Waivers are good for one year.
- Ages 13+ may use YMCA facilities without adult supervision, unless posted otherwise.
- Children ages 10–12 may use designated areas of the facility provided their parent/guardian is on the premises and they have completed a facility orientation with their parent/guardian.
Health & Wellness
- Ages 16+ may use steam rooms and saunas.
- Ages 16+ may use equipment without supervision and may participate in REGYMEN workouts
- Ages 13+ may participate in all Group Exercise classes without a parent or supervising guardian.
- Ages 13–15 may use all fitness equipment, including free weights, without adult supervision after completing a wellness appointment.
- Ages 13–15 may use wellness circuits and cardio machines without supervision after successful completion of a wellness orientation.
- Ages 8–12 may use cardio equipment and wellness circuits with a parent or supervising guardian on the premises, after successful completion of a wellness orientation.
- Ages 8–12 may participate in Level I and multi-level Group Exercise classes with a parent or supervising guardian.
- For their safety, children ages 13 and younger may not participate in Group Exercise classes that are Level II or that utilize weights, or in Group Cycling classes. In order to properly fit the Cycling bikes, the minimum height is five feet.
- Ages 13+ may use the swimming pools, hot tub and therapy pools without adult supervision (except where further restricted by local Health Department codes).
- Ages 10–12 who complete the requirements of the swim test may use the swimming pools if their parent/guardian is physically on YMCA premises.
- Ages 12 and older* may use the hot tub. 12 year olds must have a swim necklace (see swim test guidelines) and be under supervision of parent or guardian. *Y-USA Medical Advisory Committee Recommendations
- Ages 0–9 may use the swimming pools if they are under the direct supervision of parent or supervising guardian. Nonswimmers must be within arm’s reach of parent or supervising guardian.
- Ages 13+ may use locker rooms without supervision.
- Ages 10–12 may use locker rooms without a parent/guardian, provided parent/guardian is on the premises.
- Ages 4+ must use gender-appropriate locker rooms.
- Ages 4–9 may only use locker rooms under direct supervision of parent or supervising guardian.
- Parents with children ages 13 and younger are encouraged to use family locker rooms where available. These changing rooms are also available to those who require special assistance or parents assisting an opposite-gender child.
- Ages 13–15 may use Interactive Zones and youth fitness areas without a parent and must sign themselves in and out of the area.
- Ages 10–12 may use Interactive Zones and youth fitness areas without a parent, provided they sign themselves in and out, and parent/guardian is on the premises.
- Ages 5–9 may use Interactive Zones (for up to three hours per day) and youth fitness areas without a parent, but must be signed in and out by a parent or supervising guardian.
- For their safety, exercise equipment in the youth fitness area is not available to children ages 5–7 (with the exception of youth Expresso bikes).
- Parents may exercise with their children in Interactive Zones and youth fitness areas.