178 YEARS OF BUILDING COMMUNITY
Founded by Sir George Williams in London in 1844, the Y has a long history of dedicated work focused on building a better and stronger world. June 6, 2022 marks 177 years of work that has since traversed oceans and time zones, impacting people at every age and stage of life.
Did you know that:
- Basketball was invented at the YMCA's International Training School in 1891 (and that volleyball was also invented at the Y!)
- The Y in Spokane, Washington hosted the very first Father's Day celebration in 1910
- Henry Dunant, the world's very first Nobel Peace Prize winner, cofounded the Swiss branch of the YMCA and founded the Red Cross
- Robert J. Roberts, the Y's first Physical Education teacher, coined the term "Bodybuilding"
- The Y is in all 50 states, and in over 120 countries around the world!
Celebrate and SAVE June 5-11
1844 Calorie Challenge
Burn 1,844 calories in Regymen Fitness for free (about 4 workouts)
Save $35 off a package of 12 one-hour personal training sessions with a Myzone fitness tracker.
Before & After School
$18.44 Before & After-School Registration Fee
Save $56.56 June 5–11
Founder's Day T-Shirt
Exclusive designs for Founder's Day 2022! Claim yours for just $18.44
Sponsor a Teen
Sponsor a teen to have a free YMCA membership this summer for $75 and get a Founder's Day t-shirt free.