The lifeguards and staff of the Y will enforce the following rules. The Y reserves the right to suspend or expel any individual who violates the pool rules/policies. Rules and policies may change without notice to ensure the safety and comfort of all members. Rule changes will be posted at the pool entrance.
- YMCA swimming pools are only to be used when a lifeguard is on duty.
- Please shower before entering the swimming pool.
- Persons with open cuts, sores or blisters are not permitted in the swimming pool.
- Children who are not potty-trained must wear a swim diaper or plastic pants (disposable diapers are not permitted).
- Please use appropriate changing facilities (on-deck changing of any age is prohibited).
- A parent/guardian must be supervising his/her child (9 years and younger) at all times. Nonswimmers must be within arm’s reach of a parent or supervising guardian at all times.
- Children ages 10–12 may use the pool only if a responsible adult is on the Y’s premises and the child has completed the requirements of the YMCA of South Hampton Roads Swim Test. Please refer to the member guide for all age guidelines and definitions.
- Swimmers must wear appropriate swimwear (no jeans or cut-offs; swimsuits only). The Y asks all members to remember the family environment and choose the style of your swimsuit accordingly.
- Children wearing Coast Guard approved flotation devices and nonswimmers must be within arm’s reach of a parent. Water wings (arm floaties) are not permitted. The aquatic director may make exceptions based on special needs of the swimmer and inspection of the device.
- Glass or metal objects are not permitted in the pool area and any food consumed must be at least 10’ from the edge of the swimming pool. Chewing gum, tobacco products and alcohol are not permitted in the Y’s aquatic environments.
- Feet-first entries only. No diving. Flips, spins or back dives are not permitted from the side of the pool. Diving is permitted in swimming pools with a minimum of 9’ of water during posted times.
- Running, horse playing, pushing, carrying people on shoulders or dunking is prohibited in the swimming pool or deck area.
- Hanging on lane lines, safety ropes and basketball hoops is not permitted.
- Prolonged underwater swimming or breath holding (and hyperventilation) is not permitted.
- Floats and rafts are only permitted during designated times and when posted in advance.
- Fins and snorkels are only permitted in lap lanes. On occasion during peak demand, the aquatic director may restrict usage of fins to ensure the safety of other swimmers.
- Mermaid tails or monofins are not permitted.
- When the whistle blows, look to a lifeguard immediately!
- Any act deemed unsafe by the lifeguard or management will not be tolerated.
- YMCA management may close the pool at any time to ensure the safety of patrons. All pools will be closed for at least 30 minutes when lightning and/or thunder is observed.
Wading Pool Guidelines
- Children 42” and smaller are welcome in the wading pool.
- A supervising adult age 16 or older must be in the wading pool with children.
- Deck surrounding the wading pool must be kept clear of baby equipment and toys.
- One person at a time is permitted on the slide. Feet-first entries only.
Please cooperate with the lifeguards in enforcement of the rules. Your assistance in reviewing the pool rules with your children will greatly enhance our ability to provide a safe and enjoyable pool atmosphere.