The lifeguards and staff of the Y will enforce the following rules. The Y reserves the right to suspend or expel any individual who violates the pool rules/policies. Rules and policies may change without notice to ensure the safety and comfort of all members. Rule changes will be posted at the pool entrance.
- YMCA swimming pools are only to be used when a lifeguard is on duty.
- Children (9 years and younger) must be supervised by a parent/guardian (16 years or older) at all times.
- Non swimmers must be within arm’s reach of a parent or supervising guardian at all times and in water 5 ft or less. One parent/ guardian may supervise a maximum of three non-swimmers.
- Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices may be used as a means of support for nonswimmers.
- Children ages 10–12 may use the pool only under the supervision of someone 16 years or older who is on the Y’s premises and the child has completed the requirements of the YMCA of South Hampton Roads Swim Test. Please refer to the member guide for all age guidelines and definitions.
- Please shower before entering the swimming pool.
- Persons with open cuts, sores or blisters are not permitted in the swimming pool.
- Children who are not potty trained must wear reusable swim diaper or disposable swim diaper with a cover or swimsuit. Plastic covers are available for purchase at the membership desk.
- Please use appropriate changing facilities (on-deck changing of any age is prohibited).
- Swimmers must wear appropriate swimwear (no jeans or cut-offs; swimsuits only). The Y asks all members to remember the family environment and choose the style of your swimsuit accordingly.
- Prolonged underwater swimming or breath holding (More than 10 seconds or 20 meters/yards) and hyperventilation is not permitted.
- Hanging on lane lines, safety ropes and basketball hoops is not permitted.
- Glass objects are not permitted in the pool area and any food consumed must be at least 10’ from the edge of the swimming pool and in the designated area.
- Chewing gum, tobacco products(including e-cigarettes) and alcohol aren’t permitted in the Y’s aquatic environments.
- Fins and snorkels, and kickboards are only permitted in lap lanes or during a YMCA program.
- Mermaid tails or monofins are not permitted.
- Feet-first entries only. Flips, spins or back dives are not permitted from the side of the pool. Diving from the side is permitted in swimming pools with a minimum of 9’ of water.
- Running, horse playing, pushing, carrying people on shoulders or dunking is prohibited in the swimming pool or deck area.
- When the whistle blows, look at lifeguard immediately!
- Any act deemed unsafe by the lifeguard or management will not be tolerated
Wading Pool Guidelines
- Children 42” and smaller are welcome in the wading pool.
- A supervising adult age 16 or older must be in the wading pool with children.
- Deck surrounding the wading pool must be kept clear of baby equipment and toys.
- One person at a time is permitted on the slide. Feet-first entries only.
Please cooperate with the lifeguards in enforcement of the rules. Your assistance in reviewing the pool rules with your children will greatly enhance our ability to provide a safe and enjoyable pool atmosphere.