YMCA Swim Test
Children ages 3-12 must complete requirements of swim test to be allowed to swim without parent or supervising guardian being within arm’s reach at all times. A parent or supervising guardian must accompany child during swim test to learn the needed areas of improvement if child does not complete the requirements of the test.
The swim test requirements are as follows:
- Comfortably swim one length of the swimming pool (25 yards) without assistance—starting in shallow end of the pool.
- Pausing is allowed for the swimmer to rotate and breathe.
- Type of stroke allowed: freestyle front crawl or breaststroke
Swimmer must remain horizontal on top of water and have some level of proficiency of the swim stroke. Underwater swimming is not permitted.
- At the end of the 25-yard swim, the swimmer must tread water for 30 seconds.
- Swimmer must exit swimming pool either by steps, ladder or side.
- Finally, to test confidence in deep water—swimmer jumps into deep end of pool, resurfaces and exits swimming pool by steps, ladder or side.
- Upon successful completion, a complimentary swim neckband will be awarded, which notifies the lifeguards of the child’s ability to swim.
- Swimmers who have completed requirements of swim test must wear neckband at all times while in the pool.
- For the safety of all children, neckband sharing is not permitted.
Please note: swim test may be taken once per day.
Upon successful completion, a complimentary swim neckband will be awarded, which notifies lifeguards of the child’s ability to swim. Swimmers who have completed requirements of swim test must wear neckband at all times while in the pool. For the safety of all children, sharing of neckbands is not permitted. Replacement neckbands cost $2.