2021 Facility Hours/Operations Updates
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a devastating and long-lasting effect on many organizations—including the Y. Our Y team has been challenged to sustain our powerful work for the community, remain present and able to serve, and work alongside our community to grow and recover over the next few years. To be completely transparent, our Y has contracted nearly 40% in all areas—from the people we serve through membership to the number of children using our child care services.
We're a smaller, but mighty organization and with that comes changes to our operations so that we can ensure the Y's future is bright.
2021 Holiday Observances
Ys will be closed for 13 observed holidays in 2021 (listed below). When the Ys are closed, this also means child care will not be offered in most cases. Please see below for more details.*
- President's Day— February 15
- Easter Monday—April 5
- Memorial Day—May 31
- Juneteenth—June 18 (summer camp remains open)
- Independence Day Monday—July 5
- Labor Day—September 6
- Indigenous People's Day—October 11
- Election Day—November 2
- Veterans Day—November 11
- Thanksgiving—November 25
- Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- New Years Eve
*Note for childcare families—For the remainder of the 2020/2021 school year, childcare will not be offered when Y facilities are closed (February 15, April 5, May 31). The 2021/2022 academic calendar will address any closures that may impact our services during enrollment for those programs. Additionally, in reference to the new temporary facility hours listed below, the Y's e-Learning Academy and/or Before & After School care program will continue to serve families until 6pm on Fridays.
We've been monitoring facility visits to see how the community wishes to use our Ys and have temporary changes to facility hours starting February 1st:
- All Ys will be closed Fridays at 2pm, and closed all day on Sundays. The Y's e-Learning Academy and/or Before & After School care program will continue to serve families until 6pm on Fridays.
- Many Y locations will be adjusting facility hours in addition to what is noted here to reflect actual usage patterns at each location. Hours of operation will be adjusted on the location pages on our website and in our YMCA app in the coming days. These changes will become effective February 1.
- Additionally, the Effingham Street Family YMCA will be closed on Saturdays.
- In the summer, the outdoor pools will be open regular 2019 hours even when the facility is closed (i.e. Friday afternoons, weekends).
We know that having the Y closed on these days may impact your routines, which is why we have worked to provide you with the following NEW alternatives for you.
Virtual Y 2.0
Dive into the Y, virtually! As a Y member, access to the Virtual Y is FREE, with something for every age and stage of life. Login using your member key tag and get access to fitness classes with awesome local Y instructors, kid's activities like doodling and crafting with our enrichment coaches, and even guided meditation for the whole family!
NEW for 2021! Access the Y for fitness, anytime of day (and night!). Included for all first responders (thank you for all you do!), and just $4.99/person for others to add to your monthly membership account! Visit the 24/7 Fitness Access page for more details, including when locations will launch their 24-hour access and how to add this to your monthly membership.