Celebrating Welcoming Week at the Y
Celebrate your neighbors during Welcoming Week, September 9-18!
Welcoming Week, founded by Welcoming America, is an annual celebration bringing together thousands of people and hundreds of local events that celebrate the contributions of immigrants and refugees and the role communities play to foster greater welcome. Welcoming Week is Sept. 9-18th across the country and now expanding to other parts of the world.
Welcoming America is leading a movement of inclusive communities becoming more prosperous by making everyone who lives there feel like they belong. Welcoming America believes that all people, including immigrants, are valued contributors and vital to the success of both our communities and our shared future.
Every location in the YMCA of South Hampton Roads will participate this year! Take a look at some of the activities to expect across all locations:
- The Y will be open to all during Welcoming Week. (Valid photo ID is required to use the Y as a guest. A parent must sign a participation waiver for anyone under age 18 wishing to use the Y. See age guidelines.)
- YMCA locations will have a donation box to collect gently used or new athletic shoes, in partnership with the organization Sneakers4Funds, whom will contribute $.70/per pound to the Y’s Annual Giving Campaign to help provide programs and membership, for all.
- Stay & Play coloring sheets to color and decorate with around the Y
- Flags, banners and posters celebrating communities
- Large map in lobby for members to mark where they are from and share their cultural heritage
- "I am a Welcomer" signs for staff and members to fill out
- Music in the lobby from different countries
- Member stories collected and shared with the Y community