Registration and Preparing for Day Camp
Below, you'll find more information about camp registration, paperwork, payments, cancellation and communication, as well as contact information for our camp teams at your YMCA summer camp. Click each topic to expand for more information.
A $15 nonrefundable and nontransferable deposit per week holds your child's spot in summer day camp when you register.
The YMCA requires weekly tuition to be automatically scheduled to draft from your debit or credit card account on Monday two weeks before camp begins.
Upon the automatic draft attempt on Monday, if the payment returns, the Y will attempt to draft your payment method again two additional times on Tuesday and Wednesday.
If a payment is returned, a $12 returned payment fee is assessed in addition to the amount of the original payment.
- Camp fees that are not collected by Wednesday will result in the camper being unenrolled from the respective camp week.
Because the YMCA of South Hampton Roads is a state-licensed childcare provider, some paperwork is required before your child can attend summer camp. After you complete registration and check out, you’ll find these forms in the My Requirements section of your YMCA account. This paperwork is due no later than 30 days before your child's camp session begins and includes:
- Child’s Information
- Child’s Proof of Identity
- Child’s Most Recent Physical & Immunization Record
- Parent/Guardian Information
- Child’s Emergency Information
- Additional Authorized Pickups
- Medication consent (required if your child requires medication while in our care)
- Allergy management plan (required if your child has diagnosed food allergies)
- Non-Prescription Skin Products Authorization
- 2024 Summer Camp Waivers
Please note that medication authorization and allergy management plan forms expire one year from the date the doctor authorized unless otherwise noted by the doctor.
We've updated our child care paperwork management system to better serve you! We've created a simpler process which started with Summer Camp 2023. This means all required documentation will be uploaded and accessible through your YMCA account.
Here's what you need to know:
- You will be asked to upload new childcare paperwork if you are enrolled or plan to enroll for summer camp 2024 through your YMCA account. You'll find these forms in the My Requirements section of your account. Click on the clipboard icon to get started. All paperwork must be completed 30 days prior to the first day of care.
- Important note: we were unable to export the documents you submitted in the previous system we used; therefore new documentation has to be uploaded.
- For subsequent registrations like before and after-school care and school's out camp, you'll only need to review documents and make any needed changes, making your paperwork process quick and easy in the future.
If you have any questions or need further assistance with this new process, please reach out to our Engagement Team at (757) 275-9450.
If you need to make changes or cancel your registration, we require a 14-day notice in order to ensure proper staffing ratios and to allow children on the waitlist to be offered a space. Let us know by the Monday, two weeks before the camp session you are canceling begins.
Cancellation requests can be made by requesting a change to your care.
If you don't cancel at least 14 days in advance, you will be responsible for that camp session's full tuition.
Please note that enrollment fees and camp deposits ($15/camp session) are nonrefundable and may not be transferred to other campers or to other weeks of camp.
If your child is unable to attend for an entire week of care due to illness, the Y will provide a credit with receipt of a doctor's note. If your child attends any day that week, full weekly tuition is due.
PREPARING FOR SUMMER CAMP
Things you will need:
- Cool, comfortable clothing
- Close-toed shoes (sandals permitted during swim times)
- Swimsuit, towel, and plastic bag for wet belongings
- Bag to keep personal belongings
- Labeled lunch and two snacks (refrigeration is not provided)
- Labeled, reusable water bottle
- No electronics, toys, or cell phones
You can view information and a map of drop-off and pick-up locations for your child right here.
A typical day of camp goes like this (subject to change based on location/availability):
6:00-9:00 am Drop off
9:00 am Opening Assembly
9:30 am Huddle Time
9:50 am Group Games
10:45 am Swimming
12:00 pm Lunch
12:35 pm Your Voice Your Choice
1:25 pm Arts & Crafts
2:10 pm Sports
2:55 pm STEM
3:40 pm Closing Assembly
4:00-6:00 pm Departure
Yes, your child will go swimming at least once a week. Please bring a swimsuit, towel, and a bag to place wet belongings in.
Please do not put sunscreen in your camper's bags. Your child’s sunscreen needs to be with the YMCA summer camp office and we will provide sunscreen for your camper.
Swim test requirements can be found here. Each camper will receive the opportunity to test to receive a swim necklace.
You will receive communication via email with information regarding upcoming themes and what additional items may be needed to participate in planned activities.
If medicine has to be taken at camp, you must complete a Medication Authorization Form (located in the My Requirements section of your YMCA account) and it must be dispensed through our summer camp office. The medication needs to be in its original container.
Please do not give your child their medications, sunscreen, or insect repellent in their book bags. Your child’s medications need to be with the YMCA summer camp office and we will provide sunscreen and insect repellent for your camper.
Please make sure that you have also completed the Non-Prescription Skin Products Application located in the My Requirements section of your YMCA account.
Please note that we must follow your doctor's instructions explicitly, and if they did not indicate that a generic medication is allowed, we can not give the generic medication to your child (example: Benadryl® vs diphenhydramine)
Lunch is not provided by the Y.* Each camper is required to bring a lunch, two snacks, and a reusable water bottle. Please make sure items are labeled. The YMCA does not provide refrigeration.
*Some locations offer one snack and a lunch via the Summer Food Service Program and in partnership with a third-party provider. Locations include:
- Albemarle Family YMCA
- Effingham Street Family YMCA
- James L. Camp Jr. Family YMCA
- Suffolk Family YMCA
- YMCA Camp Arrowhead
- YMCA of Portsmouth
Camp communications are sent by email and/or text message. Communication by email will go to the email address you have selected as preferred for your child's account.
Text communications will go to the phone number of the primary person on your YMCA account.
Please contact our Engagement Team at 757-275-9450 or 757-962-5555 with questions regarding enrollment, billing, and more. For specific questions regarding the program, please contact a director below.
|Great Bridge/Hickory Family YMCA
|Greenbrier Family YMCA
|Taylor Bend Family YMCA
|Currituck Family YMCA
|Eastern Shore Family YMCA
|YMCA Camp Silver Beach
|Albemarle Family YMCA
|James L. Camp Jr. Family YMCA
|YMCA Camp Red Feather
|YMCA on Granby
|Outer Banks Family YMCA
|YMCA of Portsmouth
|Suffolk Family YMCA
|First Tee — Hampton Roads
|Hilltop Family YMCA
|Indian River Family YMCA
|Mt. Trashmore Family YMCA
|Princess Anne Family YMCA
|Salem YMCA Family Center
|YMCA at JT's Camp Grom